Didn’t see that one coming. Or the fact that I would be writing about, *sigh*, emojis. Those funny yellow faces were cool maybe 10-15 years ago, when they were popularized by MSN Messenger. Sure they’ve been plaguing our text communications more recently too, mainly because of smartphones and IM platforms, but for some reason, a lot has been happening in the emoji-front in 2015. Let’s take a look:
One week and 46 years ago, the Internet was born. Or to be precise, its predecessor (or an earlier manifestation) the ARPANET delivered its first message, on 29 October 1969. Due to the creation of The World Wide Web two decades later, the Internet became the backbone interconnecting first the selected few and then eventually billions of people around the world. Although the amount of Internet users has grown staggering 806% since December 2000, shockingly still only 45% of global population has access to the Internet. So how do we get the rest 55% online? One answer to this is free Internet. Utopian? Not necessarily, since it’s actually closer than most of us think.
“There will be people who resist Solu, there will be people who disagree with what we’re doing.”
-Kristoffer Lawson, CEO & Founder of Solu Machines
I’m one of them. Among all this hype and praise, it’s about time to explain the naysayers perspective.
As a disclaimer: I’m a Finn and a tech enthusiast. Therefore like one would expect, I was instantly intrigued and excited about Solu when I first heard of them. I didn’t see the launch event, so my feelings are completely based on their Kickstarter page. This is why I wont buy Solu.
I’m the kind of guy who was born with earlobes unsuitable for the headphone industry. Earphones would fall right off, and even in-ear variants had difficulties staying in place (Ultimate Ears 600vi’s Comply foam tips getting closest to reliable fit). So when I saw the first photos of Coloud Hoop’s intriguing design, I knew I had to try them out.
Check out the updates from the bottom of this post!
I joined Facebook relatively late, in December 2011, because it was semi-mandatory for me at the time (I’m looking at you, Dumppi). I didn’t see true value in the platform before that, and frankly, even during these three years I hardly used it besides the groups-feature (that I originally joined FB for). Following brands’ pages would have been convenient, but as we all know, only a tiny percent of users actually see companies’ updates, whether sponsored or not. Throw in the mix the continuously piling issues of Facebook’s notorious spying behaviour, and for me the platform became just repulsive. For more info on how Facebook stomps on your privacy, check this must-read article “Get Your Loved Ones Off Facebook” by Salim Virani.
So this month the long-awaited opportunity finally rose for me (i.e. all responsibilities for different groups & associations were over) to delete my account. Turns out Facebook doesn’t want to let you go easily.
Windows 10 launches next month. The new OS represents a fundamental change on how we use the Microsoft’s ecosystem now and in future, with all the talks about software-as-a-service mindset and common code across all Windows devices. One of these huge changes is the company’s new browser, Edge. Although it will not replace the good ol’ Internet Explorer (because of obvious legacy reasons), it will be the new default browser. Way over a billion devices will get Windows 10 for free upgrade. That’s quite many devices which will soon open your web site, eCommerce store or online game with a completely new browser by default. Continue reading “Are Companies Ready for Microsoft Edge? I Fear Not.”
During last week’s big event, Microsoft also revealed new information about the upcoming Internet browser, Project Spartan. There’s quite a bit of new features and improvements (both technical and design), and if you are running the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview build – number 9926 on my ultrabook – then you can try out the new rendering engine with this trick:
- Open up IE 11 and type about:flags in the address bar.
- Switch “Enable Experimental Web Platform Features” from Automatic to Enabled.
- Apply changes and restart the browser.
Several browser tests already show significant performance boosts in favor of the new engine, and so far I haven’t had any stability issues with it either, so there’s really no reason not to enable it already!